Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This months topic will be: Lighting!

It's one of the most popular topics in the hobby, and one of the most debated as well. From Power Compacts to T5's, Metal Halide, LED, Combos, or any other type of lighting that could be used.

Great places to start our topic:
What do you light your aquarium with, and why?
General rule of thumb items for each different type of lighting.
The Ins and outs of choosing lighting for your tank. What do you need?

This is for any type of tank. Community, Planted, Reef, FOWLR, Mixed, any type of tank.

Last but not least, If money were no object what type of lighting or fixture would you have over your tank?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'll start. I have a very blue par 38 LED bulb. I chose this type of light for several reasons.
1. Tank size. My tank footprint is 20"x20" with a height of 10". I don't need a strong powerful light to light this tank.
2. Eco-friendly. I'm using about the same about of energy as a 60 watt incandescent bulb.
3. Unique ways to hang and hide the light. The way I did this one looks very modern. You know it's a light, but you would never know it's for a aquarium.
4. And finally, it's SUPER SIMPLE!!

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds pretty awesome Mr.Tang. I also forgot to add for everyone participating that pictures would be great in this thread! I know several members who have some pretty neat Retro-fits and Retro fits of fixtures. A little how you did your FYI would be awesome as well!

·
Registered
200 Posts
About a year ago I decided I wanted to go led so I went on line and started looking for something decent that I could afford.
I have a 80 gallon half circle tank which is an odd shape and not knowing a thing about LEDs off I went on a mission:rocker:Deals for Green Element EVO Quad 48″-52″ LED Aquarium Light Fixture – Reef Capable 64x3W | My Blog
I found the Green Element led 24" it arrived and I must say it was pretty nice but it just wasn't quite enough. So it wasn't long before I ordered a matching 48" it fit perfect. It does not come with a dimmer but that was alright with me and I also ordered the programmable timers. After about a year my tank looks great.
I like them so much I just ordered a six footer for the 150 that I'm setting up.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am currently running an Ecotec Radion Pro over my 16g Nuvo. I love the controllability of the Radion and most LED's in general. That said, I am looking to transition back to T5's in the near future.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
OK call me old school, but on four of my tanks I run compact fluorescents. One reason is the power cost, and IMHO the color spectrum is a more broad spectrum of nm. I do want to upgrade to LEDs, but only after the cost goes down or my budget goes up; however, it'll only be a very broad spectrum fixture as I THINK the photocenters for different corals operate optimally on slightly different wavelengths. IMHO burning a bulb eg MH or CF provides a wider spectrum of color therefore optimizing growth. I do not mean to say that one cannot achieve a great depth of spectrum with leds given budget or ingenuity, but unfortunately not there for me yet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts