Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says wantin a fish to aid in cleaning my tank only fish i hav is a occ clown so any that wont pick at soft or lps corals. I live in morehead but i can go 2 new bern thru the week and willing to travel a lil. Willing to buy or if u are looking for anything i would trade also. Mainly interested in getting a blenny or a small tang buy a rabbitfish would do fine 2. If you want you can just call or text 7404189414 if u have anything ur willin 2 part with, thanx

·
Registered
882 Posts
What kind of algae is it? Usually if there is an algae problem there is something that isn't right maybe nitrates or phosphates. How long has your tank been established. BTW lawnmower blennies eat more film algae that things like hair algae.

Aquariums go through growing pains it may be just your tank maturing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Tomini Bristletooth and Lawnmower Blenny worked wonders in my tank. Destroyed most of the algae inside of a week.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could prolly bring myself to trade somethin in my tank. The problem is I had a cleaner shrimp that decided 2 kill 90% of my cuc all I hav left is lik 6 snails and 10 baby jermits in a 60g. Its nothin major I just need somethin to help out a lil and im disavleb so I dont have bukoo money to order a cuc right now amd im not gonna even consider buyin snails and such from a lfs waste of money for the time being my best investment would be a fish jus 2 help out a lil until I get the money needed. And I know wrong hobby if I dont have alot of money. All the other issues youre talkin about I have addressed I have plenty experience and have nore than enough time for research thanx for the advice but not what im lookin for.

·
Registered
767 Posts
A tang would not be a good idea in a 60 gallon tank. Youd be much better off with a clean up crew or an urchin to help mow down that algae

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
i second the urchin - Poolshark is right it's a great algae cleaner and little add to the bioload. I had a tuxedo/globe urchin - no algae within six weeks. Plus they are like $20 so a lot cheaper than a tang! Only bad thing he did was unglue my frags and steal a sticker off my powerhead ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A small tang is fine for many years and I kno people that have been reefin for more than a decade that have yellow purples and koles in tanks 60 or smaller for years with no problems and no harm 2 the fish once again not on here lookin for advice this is the fs wtb trade portion of the forum I dont have the money for a cuc and an urchin in a fully stocked lps tank im def not doing. All im simply trying to inquire is whether or not anyone has a reef safe tang blenny etc for sale or trade possibly. Not tryin to be argumentative just tryin to steer the thread in the direction I have posted it for.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats why im I dont want an urchin ive owned them before theyre really cool and wonderful to own but I dont want to try and glue down a ton of corals to be able to keep an urchin corals sometimes have to be moved as they grow or as I add or make changes to my tank. I want to add a fish to my tank because all I have in this tank is an occ clown and if im going to add it might as well be something that also serves a purpose.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I understand the nature of not wanting an urchin. And I also dont want to alert the tang police on here, but due to the lack of responses about having said livestock for sale, I have only proposed alternative solutions for what you are looking for. I hope that someone does pop up on here with a blenny for you though. I know The Reef Farm has a few, but it seems a ways away from you.

Another alternative would be to get a few freshwater mollies and acclimate them to the proper salinity. Then you can have an amazing school of herbivorous fish in your tank that will never outgrow your system.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Josh a very good inexpensive alternative

Another alternative would be to get a few freshwater mollies and acclimate them to the proper salinity. Then you can have an amazing school of herbivorous fish in your tank that will never outgrow your system.

Adam AKA gunnyreefer in Jville had some and they seemed to be doing a fine job at algae control, plus they are prolific breeders. Also the little black guys are cute!
gea

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanx alot for the suggestion I forgot all about those lil guys, I understand where people are comin from on the tangs I have a degree in wildlife science and I understand the passion of wanting animals to live in ideal habitat and. Yes most tangs should not be considered for a 60g but there are a few that can thrive for many years and thats still takin care of the animal. I hope some one does pop up even a lawnmower or starry would be jus fine. Thanx for that tho anyone have any mollies that are already acclimated for salt?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I got the lawnmower blenny for that reason. Never saw him eat algae and my algae problem never seemed to go down. I had him for two years until he decided to sleep in my Vortech MP10 and did not tell me while I was cleaning the tank.
Poor guy never knew what hit him. I am turning to installing an algae scrubber in hopes of eliminating algae once and for all. Tried all other common suggestions and nothing has ever worked. Will see in a few weeks if it does the trick.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a live caught Australian dussirimi tang a sail find rand and a orange dot scooter to get rid of or do some trade txt me or MSG me 252-241-9397

1 - 19 of 19 Posts