Carolina Fish Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an awful time with my water quality in Greensboro as they have added something else to our water supply. I run my water into a 40gl tank with a filter. I use ULTIMATE and STRESS COAT + as my water conditioners and let it filter for several days. After this, the water still looks like I have added a cup of MILK! I have checked the PH and everything else and they are fine. Any one have any Ideas what I'm doing wrong? (Fresh Water Tanks)

·
Super Moderator
2,415 Posts
I often get a white flaky precipitate in my water conditioning barrels too, using Raleigh city water (from Falls Lake, Neuse River). Your source is probably Lake Townsend. In summer, the deeper water in lakes can get oxygen-depleted, causing more minerals to dissolve. If your water treatment plant intake is pulling in low-oxygen lake water, some of those minerals precipitate out of solution as the dissolved oxygen content rises back to normal in your tank. The particles could be carbonates, phosphates, or other low-solubility salts. Not a problem for your fish and plants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts