Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this just came sneaking out of my live rock this morning. It looks sort of like a sea star in that it has a central mouth and "tentacles" (though too many I think, hard to tell) I guess though the snow flake like pattern is bizarre. I can see it move the tentacles back and forth to the mouth and sort of unfurl them. The whitish mass below it is new too.

Anyone have ideas?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
did ya poke it ? neat looking ...that worries me ..if it was some slimy looking slug thing it would be safe

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not poke it, afraid it might sting me or something. I would really like to find out what it is though. It is in my seahorse tank and I have another pair of horses coming tomorrow.

On closer inspection, the part below the tentacles (and there ARE 8 actually) belongs to it as well (just to the left of the scooter in the first picture).

I will have to google anemones and see if I can find one like this.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
What ?? u don't have a poking stick ?? I thought everyone had a poking stick

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
LOL, I do have a poking stick. I guess I thought I had to use my finger.

Ya know, I dont think it is an anemone. The tentacles are separate from each other and there seem to be only 8?? Maybe though.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh oh. Looks like Foxface may be right. It may be a phymanthus or sand coral. They look somewhat like the one in my tank. Crap.

I need to figure out if it is harmful. I will definitely have to get it out of the seahorse tank but may be able to put it in my other one.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Filter Feeding Sea Cucumber

Kim it appears to be a filter feeding sea cucumber, similar to a sea apple. There are many types of these that are absolutely harmless like the pink and green knobby and the yellow(non-caribbean).

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really? Well you know, I did put a little cuc in there. But it looked like a little lump, not like the picture. Maybe it has opened up or something?

Now I have something else to google.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well how cool is that. I watched a little video showing how they "cram" their tentacles down their mouth. Exactly like the one in my tank was doing. And some of the pictures showed a pattern a little like that one on the tentacles.

Thanks Joe!!

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
I was going to say what joe said, on first thought it looks like the filter top of a sea apple which is also similar to those of some cucumbers. Will be interesting to see if it stays in one spot to also help with ID. Can you move the rock it is under to get a better look and see if it has a body attached or rather what the body attached looks like. Keep us updated

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Thats a pretty sweet cuke

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The body is the part you see just down from the tentacles in the first picture. Unfortunately I cannot move anything to get a better look. It is squeezed in to a crevice in a single large rock.

And yep Craig, it is one of the SAND sifting cucs I bought. Not so much...

It is kind of pretty in a gnarly looking way. So were do I get oyster eggs???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts