Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

Where do you buy coral?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Lumbeejerk 
#1 ·
Just getting back in to saltwater after a short hiatus. Much smaller tank than I am used to (55 gallon). Where do you all buy your coral these days? Obviously forums like this but where else? I was looking at some online places and was shocked at the prices. For simple corals like frogspawn. Yikes.

I am going to be looking for softies and LPS (trumpet, frogspawn, hammer, wellso, duncans, acans etc) as soon as my tank is ready.

#5 ·
Local hobbyist and LFS are great, however when online shopping I normally check Aquasd.com, CherryCorals.com, UniqueCorals.com and AustinAquaFarms regularly. Many more great places online and a lot of great hobbyist on R2R also. Depends on what I’m looking mostly, LPS and Softy I’d probably start with the Online shops mentioned previously.

#8 ·
So WHY are torches so crazy expensive now? I recall a time when they were not much more than frogspawn. Like $10 a head or so. Is there a worldwide shortage of torch corals??

Reactions: RedReefer
#10 ·
Supply and demand may have something to do with it since the Indo shutdown. But I also think it is the new fad along with Mushrooms. Both have skyrocketed in price. IMO give it a year and things will fall back in place. Remember the chalice craze a few years back selling a single eye for $500. Not chalice prices are no longer crazy priced.

#12 ·
For local LFS I primarily buy from Fintastic, though usually that's for fish and inverts - but they do tend to have some attractive corals too. I would recommend Reef Farm in Raleigh for some corals as well. More often for corals I tend to buy from locals like Barbara (@bsagea). Online I seem to spend a lot with Unique Corals, particularly during their live sales. There are a few other online sources I'm considering for some hard-to-find acros, but I'm holding off on those until after I set up a bigger tank this summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.