Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure my hoeven's/melanurus wrasse killed my cleaner shrimp. The shrimp has been in the tank with the wrasse and 2 o clowns for or over a year and a half and I never had a problem. Today I come home all was well, after a shower found the tail to the shrimp torn in half and the rest of him gone. This isn't a molt, it was a killing. Has this happened to anyone else? The cleaner was my daughter favorite, so when she come this summer I HAVE to have a cleaner shrimp in the tank. Like the commercial " dad rushes home with a fish and put it in the fish bowl as his daughter works in the door".

·
Registered
767 Posts
Unfortunately, sometimes as a melanurus wrasse reaches adulthood, and other wrasses as well, they can look for larger shrimp to eat. Most of the time it isnt a problem as they prefer snails. Im sorry that this happened to you!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, the wrasse is my daughter second favorite in the tank. Do I remove the wrasse and get another cleaner shrimp or get another cleaner shrimp and hope for the best? Decisions, decisions......

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would a different wrasse, such as a McCosker's flasher give me the same result, dead shrimp?

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Flasher wrasses usually don't eat larger species of shrimp, as they themselves max out at around 3 inches. Then again, the same can be said of a six line. ;) We have a pair of McCosker's, and I must say they look pretty docile - the little female will only pick out the tiniest bits of meat. They weren't popular last time I was distributing fish, and I'm really enjoying having them visit here!

Sounds like in this case, though, that melanarus is there to stay - sorry for your shrimp fiasco! Never did believe all these tales of melanarus don't eat shrimp. ALL wrasses eat shrimp, lol...it's just about which ones they feel they can take down right now! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts