Carolina Fish Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,
I thought I would document the progression of my 40 so I have something to look back on as my tank grows. I am not new to the hobby but am still learning much about proper maintenance and care. I will admit I have never performed a single water test and am learning as I go. My goal for this tank is a softie display. I would like to keep this as a low maintenance setup and don’t want to worry about dosing or having to add additional nutrients to the reef. I like the softie approach as the corals seem easier to care for and I like the movement they create. The equipment I am using has been recycled from prior setups and some stuff I picked up from other members on this site.
My Display is a 40 gallon rimless built by glass cages. It is plumbed w/ a corner overflow which drains to a 20 gallon long which I am using as a refugium sump. The sump is a continued work in progress. I have much debated the use of a protein skimmer and am currently not using one. I have additional rock skimmer section for biological filtration but don’t know if I should remove to prevent debris from trapping. I plan to add a carbon and phosphate reactor for additional filtration. For return I use a mag 5 pump.
For water I have been buying premixed salt from my LFS. I am using a 5 stage RODI from bulk reef supply for my top offs.
Fuge – My fuge houses 1 yasha goby, 1 electric blue hermit crab, 1 nassarius snail, and 1 emerald crab. I have mostly red flame algae, and some feather cualerpa. My display has approx 40-60 lbs of live rock. This display is approx 2 months setup however the rock and sand is from prior setups. I cleaned the sand best I could and dosed with prime and stability during the new setup and have also been performing bi-weekly water changes to help w/ any mini cycle. Again I do not test my water and have my fingers crossed that plants+water changes are doing the job.
Fish – 2 clownfish which are tiny. Both are less than 1 inch. These are from Doni. They were sold to me as snowcassos. 2 very small bangai cardinals, 2 very small bluefin damsels, 1 yellow hogfish, 1 small cherub angel, 1 firefish.
Corals – Again hoping to keep this as a low maintenance setup and am wanting to stick w/ easy corals. I have Various leathers, Zoas, Xenia, Anthelia, glove polyps, kenyas, GSP, pipe organ.
For lighting I was using an led which was made by a member here on this forum but have since switched to the AI SOL BLUE
I will try to post pictures as I go.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
pics of initial setup

When setting up this tank again I decided to change the outside to better match our new furniture. The stand is a TV stand purchased from target and reinforced w/ 2x4 and 4x4. The light shown is a retrofit built by Dfason.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Rockwork Change

I added some rocks and changed the layout. I like the lagoon feel that I have with the new setup. Sorry pictures are not very clear. Taken w/ Iphone under LEDS

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks^

I love the red mushroom under the blue leds at night. Great glow at night. I plan to upgrade my light as I am ot getting very good coverage on the outside corals right now and am planning on switching to a Radion G3. I hope to get better coverage by hanging it 18" above the water line. You can tell in my pics that my cabbage leather and kenyas on the outside have not fully opened. I currently have the LED on a very low setting and plan to raise them higher and gradually up the intensity until I get my new light

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Clownfish

The above clown had a near death experience. I feed my tank Larrys fish frenzy for nano tanks. The fish was choking on a piece of food that was too large to swallow. I noticed that he was shaking to release the food but could not get it out. I searched a forum where a member was seeking help because her clown was also choking. EVERYONE that responded told her to let it be and that the fish would eventually spit it out. This was not the case. Her fish ultimately died. My fish was getting sucked up by the powerhead and was stuck to the guard. I did my best to revive him by putting him in the flow of the powerhead for air. It floated down the overflow and was sucked against my skimmer guard. It appeared all hope was lost and fishy was floating upside down when I picked him out of the sump and again placed him (her, she is my female) in front of the powerhead again. I tried many things to try and dislodge the food including paperclips and a fish hook. I eventually found my wifes eyebrow tweezers and was able to dislodge the food. After about 45 minutes cupping the little guy in front of the powerhead and poking it to make sure it kept swimming she finally revived and has been doing well since. I now shave the frozen food w/ a knife before feeding to my fish.

The above pic is shortly after my rescue.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks RLE68

This is the AI SOL Blue. I was planning on the radion but got a good deal on this light from a member of this forum. I guess it will be simple to add more AI lights as my tank gets larger in the near future. Loving the different colors under the different blues. I guess its kinda cheating but holy glow : )

I will try and photo some of these corals one of these nights under the blues

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Nice looking setup. The solution lights are awesome. Raise it up and turn up t good enough intensity and one solution will be probably all you need. I also own a A I Sol.

Sent from my S5

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Redreefer ^

I still am toying with the settings. Currently I have it on the easy setup auto mode w/ max intensity at 15%. I have the light suspended at 12" above water line. I think raising it is a good idea for spread. What intensity would you recommend for soft corals and at what height. Any light/intensity cycle that you would recommend. I figured better safe than sorry. I can always up the brightness and did not want to crisp my corals. Ultimately I am going to have it get very blue for atleast 30 min -1hr before I ramp down to lights off. That way I can see some good colors

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Something New

Stole this idea from hourglassx. Wife claims it is her new favorite critter. I like em too. Has been sitting front and center feeding since I put him in. Thinking about getting another. Or a porcelain. That would be cool too.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts